Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Back to Life, Back to Reality

Hello friends,

Before I begin, if the title of this post made you think of the song "Back to Life" by Soul II Soul, I want to be your best friend. 

Now we may continue. 

It's been a whole month since I set foot back on New Jersey soil. I've kissed my days at the Kingdom goodbye, and have returned home to the motherland. While it is good to be surrounded by my loved ones and have access to disco fries again, I want nothing more to be back in my fantasy land. 

You see, it's funny, because while I was down in Florida living in this fantasy, I still craved reality. I was having the time of my life, but I was homesick. I dreamed of my days back home and how I missed having a routine, living in the suburbs, and seeing the people I loved on a daily basis. Now that I'm back home, I ache for the simplicity of being on the Disney College Program. You always want what you can't have, and right now, there is nothing I want more than to be living in Disney World again. You could say I'm in a huge post Disney College Program funk. 


I miss the days where it was socially acceptable to wear your favorite pair of ears with a cute outfit. 

I miss watching Dream Along with Mickey right before I had to clock in for a night shift.

I miss grabbing an ice cream cone at the ice cream parlor on Main Street and riding Haunted Mansion after a morning shift.

I miss trading pins with guests and asking them where they're from and how they're enjoying their vacation.

I miss walking down Main Street and soaking in all the sights, sounds and senses. The beautiful decor of the turn of the century themed buildings with that gorgeous castle greeting you at the end of the street. The sounds of the Dapper Dans singing a song in perfect four part harmony while the sound of laughter echoed in the background. The smells of sugar and sweets pouring out from the Confectionary or the delicious scent of garlic from Tony's Town Square Restaurant. 

I miss handing out "I'm Celebrating!" buttons to guests and writing "Happy Birthday" buttons.

I miss the bonding that would happen with my coworkers in the back room at Strollers or during a rare slow period by the Wheelchair register before a Wishes rush.

I miss having free access to the parks and having the will to go anytime I wanted with the friends I made on my program. 

I miss being able to see all the parades and fireworks at work. 

I miss the view of an empty Main Street after park clear during a closing shift. 

I miss seeing guests' faces light up when their favorite character would wave to them during Festival of Fantasy.

I miss all the magic and memories I created everyday at that beautiful place I am so proud to call my home. 

Thank you for everything, Magic Kingdom.

The list could go on and on. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity I was given. I will hold these memories close to my heart. Disney will always be there, and while I can visit anytime I want, nothing will be like how it was being a cast member on the Disney College Program. It has been the most unique thing I will ever do in my entire life, and I'm so beyond fortunate that it happened and I was able to live out my dream.

So what does this mean for me now? 

Well, I am back at school, finishing up my teaching certificate. That is my main focus -- to become a teacher. I however, would love to return to Disney for another program. Whether it is a spring or fall program, or maybe just a summer alumni program. I would do anything to be a cast member again.

And what does that mean for this blog? 

Don't go away! Just because my program is over, doesn't mean this blog is! I still have so many posts I want to write about my college program experience (there's quite some catching up to do). I'm also planning on making posts about tips for the DCP for future applicants. Lastly, I'm hoping to expand my blog beyond the program. I want to keep writing about Disney related things, because it is such a huge part of my life that I always want to be immersed in it. I have quite enjoyed this blogging experience, and while I don't blog as much as I'd like, it's something I'm hoping to continue.

Well, with that my friends, it's time to end this super long post. 

I hope you all have a magical day, and I'll see ya real soon! 

Love, Lindsey 

No comments:

Post a Comment