Wednesday, July 27, 2016

How to Have a Great DCP Phone Interview

With Disney College Program applications dropping quite soon for the spring 2017 program, I thought it would be time to make a blog post about phone interview tips. 

So, you applied to the DCP, passed your web-based interview, and selected your time for your interview. As you try to prepare for the big day, you start freaking out, thinking: Will I be able to handle all the pressure? Are the interviewers going to be nice? How can I show recruiters that I'm a strong candidate? 

No need to fear! I have 10 tips to help you do the very best you can do on your DCP phone interview! 


1. Prepare. 
The very first thing I did when I decided I wanted to do the DCP, loooong before I even applied, I did lots and lots of research. I read about what the program entailed, what each role would be like, learned about Disney Look, and more. I also found possible interview questions through Google, blogs, and YouTube videos that they might ask on the interview. Knowing what to expect really helped me. I also chose my top three roles incase recruiters asked me, so I could give them a good answer, and have answers prepared if they asked me a question regarding the role. 

2. Practice! 
Have mock interviews before the real thing. My best friend and I both applied to the program at the same time and we gave each other mock interviews to make us feel comfortable with the questions. I also had one of my friends, a DCP alumni, interview me. If you don't have any DCP alumni friends, just ask your friends or family members to interview you! 

3. Schedule your interview in the morning.
This is more of a personal preference, especially because I know that not many people are morning people. However, if it's possible, I think that getting your interview done and over with before lunch is great. You won't have to spend the rest of your day worked up with nerves because you can't stop thinking about your interview. Also, if you wake up early for your interview, the more your mind will make it seem like an important responsibility. Again, this is just what I preferred but you might find it helpful!

4. Get a good night's sleep/eat a good breakfast. 
Whether your interview is at 8 am or 8 pm, make sure you're well rested for the interview! Studies show that adults need between seven to nine hours of sleep a night. This is an important job interview, so treat it as such. It would be incredibly embarrassing if you started yawning halfway during the interview because you were tired! Also, make sure to eat a good breakfast. Proper nourishment will help you feel more energized for your interview and will feed your brain so you're ready to answer those questions! 

5. Find a quiet, comfortable place. 
I did my interview in my dorm room. I coordinated with my roommate's schedule, so that I knew for certain she wouldn't be in the room while I interviewed so I wouldn't get disrupted. I wanted to do it where I felt most comfortable, somewhere I knew I could concentrate. If you can't make it back to your house for your interview, I've heard of some people doing their DCP interviews in their cars in a quiet place on campus. Whatever works best for you! Just make sure you have no interruptions. I also let my friends and family know not to contact me while I was doing my phone interview. 

6. Get dressed. 
I know that it's only a phone interview, but changing out of your pajamas will actually make you feel like you did something productive. Dressing the part will help you get into the right mental frame of mind that your interview is important. Just because it's a phone interview, doesn't give you the right to slack off! Okay, so maybe you don't need to wear a business suit, but putting on a nice outfit and doing your hair and brushing your teeth will mentally prepare your mind that it's time to get down to business (Mulan pun intended). You can even wear your favorite Disney t-shirt if you want! But getting out of your pajamas will help out a ton. 

7. Write down encouraging words/quotes to look at before your interview.
Before my interview, I was a nervous wreck! I knew I would be long before it was even scheduled. I tried to think of ways to ease my nerves. One day, I was listening to Disney music and heard an inspiring lyric that reminded me I would be okay! So I decided to write down all of my favorite Disney lyrics/quotes on post-it notes that I felt would encourage me. I hung them up on my desk and looked at them a few times before my interview and it really helped. "Just keep swimming" and "To infinity and beyond" were among the quotes I had written down. Your inspiring words don't have to be Disney, but it sure wouldn't hurt! 

8. Say the interviewer's name. 
It's super important to use your interviewer's name. It shows you are respectful to them for taking their time to interview you, and shows you are paying attention to what they have to say. They are trying to get to know you better, so it is kind to call them by their name. I suggest having paper and a pen nearby so you can immediately jot down their name when they introduce themselves. Don't be afraid to kindly ask them to repeat their name if you didn't hear it right the first time. Use their name especially when you're thanking them and asking them questions. I tried to say my interviewer's name as often as I could. 

9. Ask questions.
Once again, asking questions shows the interviewer you're interested in the company as well as them. Come up with a couple of questions ahead of time, even if you have a question about housing, the Disney Look, or the DCP buses. Personally, I asked my interviewer how she got started with the company, and what she thought most students took away from their programs. 

10. Smile! 
Have fun and enjoy yourself when you're doing the phone interview. You're applying to work at the place where dreams come true! Sure, the interviewer can't see you, but they can tell if you're smiling! It's important to present yourself with a positive attitude. If you think you'll struggle with not being able to smile, sit in front of a mirror and smile back at your reflection. Sounds silly and awkward, but it should do the trick! 

These are my top 10 tips for a great DCP phone interview! Make sure you "arrive" to your interview early, don't panic if they don't call right on time, have your volume turned all the way up so you don't miss the phone ringing when they do call you, and be honest with your interviewer (if you don't want to work outside, tell them! If you have tattoos, tell them! None of that will affect your chances of getting accepted). 

I know everyone is going to do a great job on their interviews! Do not hesitate to leave a comment if you have any other questions about the phone interview. I am sending you all faith, trust, and pixie dust! 

No comments:

Post a Comment